Many people make the same old New Year?s resolutions year after year. Among the top ten: lose weight, improve finances, manage stress, stop smoking, improve relationships, and make time for yourself. Speaking for myself, I want more than resolutions on repeat. I want to make some promises to myself that will impact who I am as a person and as a leader for 2014 and beyond.
More Than New Year’s Resolutions
Like you, I am making big goals and plans for 2014. It?s going to be an amazing year! In addition, this year I would like to stretch myself beyond my traditional resolutions. I am adopting these Nine Promises into my life from someone I have long admired and respected?legendary basketball Coach John Wooden.
Nine Personal Promises
Before ?Life Coach? was an esteemed profession, it was the modest practice of Basketball Coach John Wooden. A leader on and off the court, and highly respected for his principles and maxims, Wooden kept these Nine Promises for himself in his 100 years of life.[unordered_list style=’number’ number_type=’circle_number’ animate=’no’ font_weight=’regular’]
- Promise yourself that you will talk health, happiness, and prosperity as often as possible.
- Promise yourself that you will make all of your friends know that there is something in them that is special and that you value.
- Promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best in yourself and others.
- Promise to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- Promise yourself that you will be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- Promise to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievement in the future.
- Promise to wear a cheerful appearance at all times and give every person that you meet a smile.
- Promise to give so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- Promise to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit trouble to press in on you.[/unordered_list]
As you step into a new year, full of promise and potential, I wish you much success! And I encourage you to consider layering your resolutions and goals with these Nine Promises from Coach Wooden.
Questions: What is one promise or principle that has made an impact in your life?? Or what is one you would like to adopt? (Scroll down to the comments to share your answer.)